1. This is an extract of the job profile description for which organisation? (Recently in news from quite some time.)
As a Mathematician, you may find yourself designing and analyzing complex algorithms, or expressing difficult cryptographic problems in mathematical terms, and then applying both your art and science to find a solution … or demonstrating that a solution cannot be found, given certain computational limitations and reasonable time limits.
Ans. NSA(National Security Agency) the US Intelligence Agency. It is the largest recruiter of mathematicians in the United States. Became famous with Edward Snowden.
2. In the UK and Ireland it is known as P45, in Belgium its equivalent is known as C4, What is it called in India and USA?
Ans. Pink Slip
3. What was first made by Gisecke & Devrient in 1991 in sizes of 85.6X53.9X0.76mm & 26X15X0.76mm, with the later being more popular?
Ans. SIM(Subscriber Identity Module) Cards. These were initially manufactured in the size of a credit card.
4. It was first formulated at the command of a Queen of Hungary, sometimes identified as Isabella but usually as Elizabeth. It is called ‘Hungary Water’. What?
5. What is “Seigniorage” in the world of finance?
Ans. The difference between the face value of a coin and the cost of producing, distributing and retiring it from circulation.
6. Which brand name was suggested by Dhirajben Ruparel, in a contest held for the purpose with prize money of Rs.5?
Ans. Lijjat Papad (Gujarati for Tasty)
7. DADA and Co. were the first distributors of HLL in India(selling Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil). Which brand was named after them?
Ans. DALDA (L was later inserted by Hindustan Lever to establish their ownership of the brand). The brand became so famous that it became synonymous to Vanaspati ghee like Xerox for photcopying.
8. Yuan(Chinese), Yen(Japanese) and Won(Korean) are cognates. What do they mean?
Ans. Round coin
9. What was the “8.3” convention that was changed by windows 95?
Ans. Character limit in file name (8 characters for file name and 3 for the extension).
10. “Pizza is free if we don’t give you a bill”. Why did such services originate in the U.S.?
Ans. To eliminate cheating by the workers who used to report less sales to the owner.